Publications on Kera
Posted by hausaonline on Thursday, February 1, 2007
Mary Pearce is doing research on Kera. She has sent a list of her publications:
- 2006. The Interaction between metrical structure and tone in Kera. Phonology. 23.2 CUP. 259-286. (Abstract / Download PDF file)
- 2006. Evidence against voicing spread in Kera. In (eds.) M Pearce and R. Breheny, UCL Working Papers in Linguistics 18. Department of Phonetics and Linguistics, UCL. (Download PDF file)
- 2005. Iambicity without stress in Kera, Proceedings of CamLing conference, 2005.
- 2005. Kera Tone and Voicing. In (eds.) M Pearce and N Topintzi, UCL Working Papers in Linguistics 17. Department of Phonetics and Linguistics, UCL (Download PDF file)
- 2002. Chad. In John Shepherd, David Horn and Dave Laing (eds.), Continuum encyclopedia of popular music of the world. 19-23. London/New York: Continuum.
- 1998/1999. Consonants and tone in Kera (Chadic). Journal of West African Languages 27(1): 33-70.
- 1994. An introductory study of music among the Kera. Notes on Anthropology and Intercultural Community Work 14: 26-46. SIL. (Online on SIL website)
Mary worked with SIL among the Kera from 1992-2002. Since then she’s been studying for an MA and then PhD in Phonology (with Moira Yip as supervisor). Her dissertation should be finished around June and it will investigate the interaction between tone, vowel harmony and foot structure in Kera. If all goes well, she plans to return to Chad with SIL in early 2008 – and she hopes to continue to research phonological and phonetic issues with regard to Chadic languages.